Monday, June 9, 2008

Gauging Religion




Alright, I've learned that it isn't exactly congenial to ask people to discuss their religion or religious beliefs because religion is very personal. Religion seems to be like another one of those entities (such as class and race) in America that most people do not like to talk about at length. I think one of the reasons for that is, anyone who is a staunch believer in their religion would not want to have their faith challenged, especially if they're sincerely invested it, which is understandable. I've developed my own ideas about religion. I'm not going to argue who is the real god or discuss any other deities because from my understanding, God is universal. And I believe in that. As of now, I maintain a heretical position towards religion because I don't want to conform to any set of beliefs whose power rests on faith. I'd rather be spiritual and develop my beliefs and ideas based on what I experience here on Earth. Before I begin to indulge, I would like to say that the ideas that I have now are considerably nascent and therefore could be subject to change as I grow (in age and in wisdom) and learn more. Oh, and my commentary here is mostly going to involve Christianity since it has been the faith that I have been most exposed to in my young life.

To commence my thoughts, I'll begin with a brief anecdote. I remember coming home for my first break during freshman year and I told my mother that I wasn't a Christian anymore. I even vowed to take the small cross off of my neck that I had worn for nearly three years, which I eventually did. As expected, my expressions did nothing but raise the ire of my mother and she vehemently exclaimed to me that I was a Christian, no matter what I said. I don't proscribe to any particular religion because I think there are too many complicated questions and issues that surround religion which makes it hard for me to actually put sincere and genuine faith into it.

For one, no matter what religion it is, the beliefs of that religion is going to conflict with your politics, and I think that's veritable for everyone. It could be issues of gender, race, sexuality, political or even philosophical ideology, there are bound to be conflictions. I don't like the fact that, especially in this country, religion is covertly implemented in politics. The essence of the abortion and death penalty debate is often carried by religion. One of the more interesting things about those two topics for those conservative Christians, it seems very hypocritical to me to believe that abortion is murder and capital punishment is not. But above that (on the topic of the death penalty), the Christian fundamentalist arbiters of our government are the ones who are the most in favor of capital punishment while being adverse to abortion. That's amazing. In addition, I think there are a lot of things that the American government does, that does not coincide with the dominant faith in this country, which is Christianity. For example, and I truly and honestly believe this, I don't think capitalism is favored by God. I don't think that an ideological ploy that is aimed to distinguish human beings socio-economically from one another based on the value of a natural resource converted into thin sheets of colored green paper is something God smiles upon. Think about it. The nature of capitalism, is to manipulate or exploit another person so that you may profit. Subsequent to that profit, you earn money, and if you get enough of it, you'll be able to distinguish yourself socio-economically from other human beings based on thin sheets of paper. The idea that some of our lives are more 'valuable' than others because of money does not seem God-like to me. People starve on this planet because of money. People receive poor education, are vulnerable and prone to violence in their neighborhoods, lack medical care and are tossed to the bottom of the class system all because of money, thin... sheets.... of paper. And God embraces that? Come on.

Another thing that I really don't like about religious patrons are those who just wear their religion for protection and not true belief. Going to college in what may be the heart of the Bible Dome, I've seen many people indulge in the most sinful acts, but dress up for Sundays and rejoice in the name of the lord. In the Bible, it says that the body is the temple. Many people in and outside of college degrade their own bodies and others by making very poor choices. Alcoholism, tattoos, profanity, degradation, and drug use are all detested in the Bible. But then comes that saying, "We all live in sin". And I think a lot of people use that phrase as protection. As if its alright to make the decisions that we make, whether it be the way one eats, treats others and themselves, because they can always repent. That's a self-destructive attitude. Instead of striving to be the best person one could/can be, people make poor choices because they know there is a time and place that they can repent for it knowing fully that there will be no consequence barring some supernatural event that could affect them. That's clearly a case of people only using religion as protection. And that also makes me question the faith. I think its extremely convenient, that a particular religion states that all you have to do is repent and you will be forgiven for your sins when we live in a world that is rife with opportunities to sin.

One of the more primal reasons I don't have a religion is the fact that so many exist. I've always thought to myself, what percentage of this world practices Islam, or Judaism, or Catholicism? With all of the different religions, denominations, and historical text renditions, how can you be sure that the particular religion you're committing to is the right one? This idea bothers me. Let's say that one of the religions on this planet that exist is the actual religion of God, say Christianity. Well, according to Christianity and the Bible, if you are not "saved" (born again) in the name of Jesus Christ then you will be dammed to hell. Well, what about the people who are growing up in places where Christianity hardly exists? What about those people who live their entire lives there and are never exposed to that religion? When it is time to be "judged" by God, is it fair for someone who was never exposed to religion of God to be sent to Hell because of their inherit geographical location? This is one of the many reasons why I can't commit to a faith. After studying the history of humanity and all that is has done to its race for selfish and ill-mannered reasons, it is hard for me not to believe that religion is just another contrived societal institution by man to obtain power over people. And there's even evidence of that. There is literature that attests to human beings utilizing religion to pervade certain ideas into their communities that led to unparalleled control over the society. Who's to say that that same power struggle isn't continuing today via religion? Human beings are just too fickle for me to whole-heartedly commit to something, that if I commit to holistically, will affect every area of my entire life including behavior, choices, aspirations, political ideas, and much more.

I also think, that it is truly irresponsible for someone to grow up in a faith and not to study it to see if it is really for them. Growing up in Brooklyn and going to church, I now wonder how many people actively cited their religion, gauged it, and decided that it was right for them opposed to just inheriting their faith just because their parents believed in it. If someone only believes in something because they were raised in it, I think that's extremely unfortunate. I think by doing that, one is taking away their own autonomy. There are resources in this world, with the most vital one being your own brain. Think about your faith, morals, ethics and politics before you decide to commit the rest of your life to a faith that you only believe in because your parents made you go to church with them (however frequent that was) for 18 years.

As a Black person, I think its very important for Black people to know the circuity between their history and Christianity. It is a fact, that Christianity was not our religion and our ancestors were more spiritual than anything else. Now, I'm not mentioning that to deter anyone from their religion, it's just important to know and understand the history. Christianity was adopted by African slaves in the south from their white counterparts. Slavemasters told slaves that because their lives were so miserable (as slaves) on Earth, they should become God-fearing Christians so that when they died, they could rejoice in Heaven. This is coming from the same men who pillaged the Africans' native land and made concerted scientific, psychological and philosophical efforts to prove that those in the African Diaspora were innately inferior to the white man. That's history.

Another thing with religion is that, especially in America, it is very tied in with money. And this goes back to my capitalism idea. I don't understand why there are religious television evangelist who seek to manipulate people on late night paid programming by selling them items that supposedly guarantee miraculous experiences that would significantly change their lives. I seriously question, what is the difference between them and religions figures who hold government offices? Bottom line is, just like in ancient times, religion is used to manipulate the masses, whether you believe it or not. Christmas is one of the prime examples with its origin being traced by the horrid customs of the pagan holiday of Saturnalia. Whether you think the most important thing about Christmas is the birth of Christ, the fact is, the birth of Christ is a Christian belief. And here in the United States, Christmas in a national holiday where children and parents alike get time away from school and work to participate in the customs that have been taught to them through folklore. But then our body of law says we separate Church from state. If that's not a way of manipulating the masses through religion, I don't know what is.

And lastly, the antipathy that comes out of religion pains me. There are wars occuring on this planet because of religious beliefs. Look, I don't know the exact statistics, but I don't think that there is one faith on this planet that holds more than 15% of the total population of this Earth. If you ask me, I don't think God put billions of people on this planet and less than 15% of them are destined to be with him in his "Kingdom". I always think that if there was universal solidarity in this world about the true and right meaning of the quality of life on this planet, then we would be all acting truly as God's children. But that isn't the reality, unfortunately. The reality is, is that there are an innumerable amount of faiths, religions, denominations, and sects who are competing to be God's children based on what their, dare I say man-made religion, says. It is what it is.

I want to end this blog with a piece that I like very much performed by Talib Kweli. I thought it was much more important to put the lyrics on this blog because of what he's saying. But I'll also provide the video as well.

Hell by Talib Kweli
Every Sunday waking up, catching gossip at its worst
Couldn't see the difference in the Baptist and the Catholic Church
Caught up in the rapture of the first chapter and second verse
If we all God's children then what's the word of the reverend worth?
Taught early that faith is blind like justice when you facin' time
If we all made in God's image then that mean his face is mine
Wait........ or is that blasphemy? it's logical, it has to be
If I don't look like my father then the way I live is bastardly
Naturally that's confusion to a youngin' tryna follow Christ
Taught that if you don't know Jesus then you lead a hollow life
Never question the fact that Jesus was a Jew and not a Christian
Know that Christianity was made law by politicians
And Who was King James?.........
And why did he think it was so vital to remove chapters and make his own
version of the Bible
They say Hell is underground
Heaven is in the sky
They say that's where you go when you die but how they know?

I've been to many churches
I've quoted many verses
I've dealt with my base self, I controlled my many urges
I used to study my lessons
That was a blessing not a curse
I found out that Heaven and Hell exist right here on Earth, word.
Studied with Rastafarians
Found out from the dreads that Hell is called Babylon
And that's where the crazy boarheads dwell
They got us thinking that Muslims like to make bombs

But real Muslims believe in paradise and resist the Shaitan
So, it all sound the same to me
But when they say one's right and the other is wrong it just sound
like game to me
It's like God skipped past the church and came to me
No that ain't vain to me
It's just a particular way that I came to see
The difference between those that claim to be
Religious and those that say they spiritual
And recognize that life is full of miracles
You could see the flow is divine
I glow when I rhyme 'cause it coincide with a grow in the time that those who
looking for God knowin' to go inside

Looking for absolution

Living in mass confusion

The gas seducing and psychopath creatin' a last solution

Based on his interpretation of what the words are saying

Lookin' for God but ended up doing the work of Satin
Religion create division
Make the Muslim hate the Christian
Make the Christian hate the Jew
Make up rules of faith
That you condition to and gotta follow
God forbid you go to Hell
But if you ever been through any ghetto then you know it well




Parting Thoughts:
I'll end this blog with some of my favorite "religious" quotes.

"Why I gotta have religion if I believe in God"- Common

"...And why is Jesus never played by black actors?"- Nas

"
[My] belief has nothing to do with the God-fearing person who wants to practice his or her religion. That’s why I don’t believe in me picking up a religious belief and just wearing it for protection and not being into it. You have a lot of people that hide behind the shield of religion because it protects, especially in this country, without true belief."- Chuck D

"The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want
Just because the lord is my shepherd don't mean I gotta be no sheep
You feel me?
More blood is spilled over religion than anything in world history"- Talib Kweli


Question: Jesus said I am the way, the truth, and the life. No man cometh unto the Father but through me. Do you believe this and do you think Islam is a way to Salvation?

Answer: Jesus also said, other sheep have I, who are not of this sole. -Reverend Jeremiah Wright

Peace, always.

Oh yeah,
If you believe in something, make sure you're true to it because you sincerely believe in it, and not because its convenient for you. Remember, God knows our hearts.

2 comments:

  1. i can relate to the unattractiveness of collective religion. we as Americans will not tolerate being told, or even suggested, what to believe. the ideal that each individual can CREATE their own beliefs and morals is very enticing.

    Does that make it right, though?

    PS: There was a movie, "The Color of the Cross", that came out recently with Jesus played by a Black actor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At 2nd read, I'd like to say this regarding our history & Christianity:

    On one hand, and with my color-conscious mind, I think it's ludicrous to adopt the malpractices and doctrine of a White Man's God. That same God who's servants treat me less than human.

    But, there is something deep seeded in me...that managed to fight and to stretch past the schisms of History...that tells me it was all meant to happen.

    Look @ the children of Israel. If there was no bondage. No captive. No Exodus. No need for a King. No insurrection within the Blood Line. No falling away. And no prophetic utterance.

    Then there wouldn't have been a Savior born through their lineage.

    Our captivity was grave, cruel, and inhumane. But God chose our people to go through it. Because He knew that we would find Him in the midst of it all.

    ReplyDelete

Comment Here!