Wednesday, April 8, 2009

National Poetry Month (Poem#3)

Art Form: Writing
Genre/Type: Poetry

In honor of National Poetry Month, I will be attempting to write one poem a day.

Re[noun]ed by Kuamel Stewart

When I was eleven.
I met her one late night while discovering that I had a penchant for writing good poetry,
I found out everything about her that evening,
She gave me a feeling that I felt I had never had before,
I went to bed that night dreaming about having her when the school bus halted in front of my house the next morning, just in case the water from the curb rained on me,
I walked down the halls of P.S. 319 with her,
She inspired me to have an infectious smile, and I carried her with me to sixth period,
Everyday she was with me until,
The school bully,
Thomas,
Embarrassed me by haughtily harping on my ever-increasing paunch in front of my crush,
I ran home without her, and landed in front of my mother’s mirror screaming for her while I grappled with accepting that I was burly,
But I sought refuge at the desk where I would scribble my ruminations, and she hastily returned,
From that point on,
I went to school with her,
And while my ominous peers made me the highlight of their parody,
I blocked them out and she stayed with me.
She was pretty coquettish at times, and I didn’t mind,
It would only be some days when I wished that she wouldn’t play with my feelings and tell me that she was here to stay,
Like that one fateful night when my daddy told me I was his favorite accident,
Gave me a sullen smile and a hug,
And left me feeling more empty than a bottomless pit whose depths descended into a black hole,
Or when I couldn’t find the courage to tell Stacy that I wrote sonnets about the potential of our consorting and the affable life-long bond that it could lead to,
Or when I stepped on stage into the eye of the beacon above the balcony preparing to deliver my first poem and Stacy sat anxiously awaiting my rhetoric in the mezzanine,
I cried when she wasn’t around, I didn’t feel like my life had purpose without her,
But I aged,
And the more I began to understand that seeking happiness in others was a futile effort,
The more I became appealing to her,
And she blessed me with her presence,
I began sauntering down avenues with my head perpendicular to the ground,
My voice suddenly had base and the thoughts that I used to whisper now escaped from my mouth in intoned orders,
I was eloquent,
I had more control over my interpersonal relationships,
She kept coming back and back,
I would face my nose to the sky, and with her, I believed that the source of my spirit still lied inside of me,
My stature no longer had significance, and my mind and soul became hegemonic
And this was all thanks to her,
And throughout all of these years she still won’t commit to me,
She still flirts with me from time to time,
And that’s ok,
I’ll be happy just as long as she keeps returning,
And although I know she only wants me for my mind, I want confidence to know that she was the best sexual partner that I ever had

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Here!