Monday, March 31, 2008

Freshman Year.....

Academics:
Ok, so first semester was crummy. Lesson Learned: Never take another 8 o’clock class again. Its not healthy nor does it suit me. For the most part, I did ok though. What I don’t understand though, is why do people take difficult classes without actually researching the course. It seems like everyone comes into college saying to themselves, "I’m gonna take poly-sci and economics". I’m not knocking those classes, but if you’re going to take them, take them because you’re genuiniely interested in the course (or if you need it) and not because its a popular subject you commonly hear in conversation when talking about college academics. Its like when a teenager is being asked what they aspire to be and most times they say a lawyer or a doctor because those two occupations are extremely popular. The truth is, those jobs are fairly uncommon and going back to the course thing; a lot of people were in hell being in those courses after about 3 weeks. So before you click ’Register’, think about it. Make sure you actually like your major too. Wasting time sucks...

What I do like about UNC is that some courses encourage thought, at least in the courses I took. I’m just glad its not super conservative.

People:

Sigh..... This was a dissapointment. I know that they aren’t too many people in the world who think the way I think. But I was thoroughly depressed with the social atmosphere on campus. It suprises me because coming in, I thought there would be a lot of conscious/educated people in college. Thats totally not the case. There are more people here just for career advancement opportunities than people who are actually seeking real knowledge or growth. No wonder most of the forums that actually engage in interesting, potentially life changing, discussions are always near empty. The apathy that exists on this campus saddens me. Though, all I need is a few friends who don’t have myopic minds so we can watch The Boondocks, listen to Coltrane and talk about Che and Angela.

Black People:
Yeah, this definitely deserves to be separated from the "People" category. Don’t get upset. Its not like this is the first time Black people weren’t considered actual people. Check the history.
Ignorance pervades the black community at UNC just like it does anywhere else. But its the level of ignorance thats glaring. I knew it would be a different culture and all emigrating to the South, but some of this (or most of it) is ridiculous. The club scene is crazy. I went once and that was the last time for me.

Quick Story: I met a girl a week before school started and she seemed pretty cool. The next week, I went to the club and she was on stage with just a bra and a sweated out perm. Yeah, she’s a freshman. Tell me about it.

Black females are cool for the most part but the dudes on this campus fustrate me. I don’t understand how you can be at the college level, and still wear your pants off your ass and have chains (of no particular significance) dangling from your melanin filled neck. They’re in an evironment where you would think they would be diverted from internalizing ignorant ideas, yet, they still walk around looking as if they’re chasing affluence. Ridiculous. And if another dude acknowledges me by saying nigga, I’m gonna go off. You would think after at least taking one Afri/Afro-American Studies class that you would cease using that word. I guess not. I love how everyone walks around claiming black pride but almost everyone degrades each other. And here’s the kicker: They don’t see a problem with it!

Also, and mabye this is an extension of southern culture, everyone is super religious. If you hit up most of these facebook pages, all you see is "I couldn’t be anything without Him", "I love the Lord". Yeah, yeah, yeah. I don’t think God is into degradation and nigg(a)er is degrading no matter how you use it.

"Yo what’s up nigga." "What’s good nigga, where you headed?". "I’m out to church my nigga. It’s easter ya digg". "Aiight my nigga, I’ll hit you up later".

^Thats not a problem? Right.

Sports:
Sports are huge on this campus and I have to admit that it consumes me pretty often. I went to most of the football games and the experience was going really well until the end of the game......when we lost.....most of the time. B-Ball games can be corny if there’s a blowout. You almost have to hope someone comes into the Dean Dome and challenges the team just so you don’t get trapped into acting sullen with the person next you because they keeping trying to initiate conversation amid the boredom. Actually, my favorite sporting event this year was at a soccer game against Duke. It was intense and we won in overtime. As soon as the ball hit the back of the net, me and some friends ran into Duke’s student section and raised hell. That was definitely fun.

Housing:
Arrogant, pompous, obnoxious, ignorant people exist. I’m moving to another part of campus next year. Will I escape them? Probably not. But just like being a part of "da struggle", there’s hope.

Parting thoughts....

B.E.T. is still whack.
Baisden After Dark<--------Huge Dissapointment
Hip Hop is suffering.
I need to learn how to cook.
Sometimes, putting a book down is a good thing.
The B-Ball team is taking it this year.
I want a new friend.

Over and Out

Oh yeah, Free Chilly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Here!