Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Heartbeats........Five Of Them.


Art Form: Cinema
Type/Genre: Drama

The Five Heartbeats is by far my favorite film of all time. I think that this film was constructed beautifully and Robert Townsend's writing and directorial skills seem impeccable considering the product he devised. I also have to pay homage to Keenen Ivory Wayans who participated in the screenwriting of the film. I first saw this movie when I was younger when my grandmother used to watch it all the time. And when I say all the time, I mean all the time. I used to never understand why she would pop that thing in the VCR every morning but I guess now I can. I think The Five Heartbeats is one of the most underrated films to have ever been syndicated by Hollywood. The movie was made in 1991 so I don't really understand why it isn't a fairly common known film amongst the past two generations. I'm not saying its one of those films that should be exceptionally prominent in the minds of the public like the heralded Scarface or The Godfather series. But its definitely one of those films that most people should have seen and probably loved regardless of class, race, etc. There are so many things that I can relate to and appreciate in this film.


The Characters

Choir Boy (Tico Wells): So the origination of my alias on this blog has finally been revealed. Yeah, Tico Well's character served as the muse for my nickname, Choir Boy. Choir Boy will also be the name of my independent of production company once I enter to the realm of cinema: Choir Boy Productions. Though, my connection to the name Choir Boy has little to do with Tico Well's character. I chose the name Choir Boy because I definitely think I'm always preaching to people, trying to spread and encourage thought about different things of the world; the socially conscious thing. That objective has been concretized by the advent of this blog, The Tipping Point, which is basically my personal soap box. Aside from that, there are things I can relate to that are encompassed in Well's character. He's the shy one but the member who has arguable the best voice. The guy whose singing is so high pitched that if he fusilladed his voice, it would become nothing more than a glass shattering cacophony. But he's also the guy who's in the back and never gets the attention of the girl he's been eying for a long time. Choir Boy is like the little brother whose big brothers are the coolest and get all the women why he can only dream to be like them. I was definitely like that in my lifetime (the very little of that I lived so far). I've had friends in high school who I envied because they had girls that I thought should have paid attention to me because I knew I was a better person. But Choir Boy does what he has to do to get them (lying about being the leader of the group). I won't comment on that being applied to my life, but I understand. ;)

Dresser (Terrance Williams): Dresser was just the coolest guy in the group. Those suspenders were off the chain. And his dancing skills were hot although he was shown up by the old man. But more importantly, Dresser was the family man. That part of him comes out in the scene when he finally expresses his frustrations with Duck and Eddie because he's upset about not having money and he learns that his wife is expecting a child. I completely understand. Dresser wasn't about the stardom or fanfare. He just wanted to do what he loved and take care of his family. There's probably been an innumerable amount of times where I've envisaged what kind of family I want to have and how we'll live. The idea of being to efficiently provide love and subsistence for my spouse and children while possibly being immersed in the celebrity world is something that sneaks into my mind quite a lot. Despite the money and fame, Dresser maintained that family was important. I respect that.

Eddie (Michael Wright): Eddie King! ( though he pronounces it, Eddie Kang!) Eddy is the man. The guy is enamored with fame and money. I don't think that becomes a bad thing until you become gluttonous with things that come with stardom; things like women and material wealth. Greed could also become an affliction. Those are definitely the things that conflict Eddie in the film and nearly lead him to his demise before self-destructive behavior is curtailed by his potential wife. But what I can relate to with Eddie was his willingness to be that star. He took the leading singing role because he wanted it most. He wasn't necessarily the best singer, which is debatable, but he was determined that that spot was his. And that's how I feel about coming into the film world as an African American filmmaker. There have definitely been the great writers/directors such as Spike Lee, The Hughes Brothers, Keenon Ivory Wayans and John Singleton and the many unnamed. But I think there is a void right now for the new African American Filmmaker. And I want to be the person to assume that spot. You can call it a dream, but I call it a destiny. That's why I'm so steadfast in my pursuit of getting there.

J.T. (James Thomas): The Ladies Man. Now, J.T. had a huge lust problem. Actually, it was worst than that. He had a severe sexual addiction which definitely can be self-destructive. But hey, hormones are hormones. And they get you sometimes, or most times, but a consistent excercitation of self-control can impede that. What I liked most about J.T. was the love he had for his brother. No matter what, he looked out for him; even in the waged war over Baby Doll between them. He even named one of his sons after his brother. That's beautiful. It just makes me wish I could have that kind of relationship with my [half] brother. Sadly, I don't and its really unfortunate. But if I'm fortunate enough to have two sons, I'm definitely going to raise them to have the kind of love, care, and respect for one another that J.T. had for Duck (and vice versa) in the film. Oh, and "shy brother", I think I'll teach that to them too.

Duck (Robert Townsend): Out of all the main characters, Duck is the one I relate to and admire the most. There's a reason why he's the protagonist of the film and its because everything that happens to the group and those affected by the group is a product of his work and dreams. Duck is the visceral writer/choreographer/poet who seems to come up with the perfect tune, lyric, or step because his creative prowess is so unconscionably innate. It seems like everything he does turns into a complete work of art-his music and choreographed performances- and ultimately it's greatly and profoundly appreciated by the public. Although his artistry affords him more money, women, and resources he could ever dream of, he remains subdued in his own world. He shows character traits of a recluse at times, but when he comes out, he delivers something that will be remembered forever (as far as his art goes). I feel like I'm that person too.....

I think all of these characters possess something that I feel I have. Parts of the timber of each individual person lie somewhere inside of me.

The Story Line
I think this film has the best screenplay I've ever seen. The story encompasses so many pertinent parts of the "rags to riches" story for artists and more specifically Black artists. When the group hears their song on the radio for the first time, the elation was incredible. (I love that scene by the way) I think that's how I'll feel when I'm at Festival De Cannes for the time watching my first feature film being screened. The new lifestyles that succeeds the group's long awaited syndication was really cool. Also, the scene where all five members drive through the street with the same car in different colors was the bomb. And the HUGE house with the big ribbon on its facade that Duck surprises his mom with was hot too. I also really liked the scene when the group was on their first tour, driving, and they were unjustly stopped and embarrassed by the police because they were black. Shortly after, Duck then gets back into the car and sings America the Beautiful. Genius. Those are just a few scenes I like, but the film overall is great.

Oh, and the soundtrack is BANGIN!

You can youtube it if I've compelled you enough to watch it or if I've reminded you of how great it is/was and you want to see it again. One.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJHWfLTaG_0&feature=related

1 comment:

  1. this made me smile.
    i remember watching this as a little girl. i love movies that chronicle the music careers of black artists.

    1) What's Love Got to Do With It
    2) The Temptations
    3)The Jacksons - an American Dream

    man...good post.

    ReplyDelete

Comment Here!